U.S. Pilot Training for International Students

There are two types of U.S. pilot training visas available for international students who want to complete flight training in the United States: the U.S. M-1 and F-1 Visa for flight training. Note: the U.S. tourist visa is NOT allowed for flight training in the United States.

U.S. M-1 Visa for Flight Training

The M-1 Visa is recommended for non-immigrant students interested in entering the United States to enroll in our Commercial Pilot Track or individual flight ratings. At L3 Airline Academy , this offering includes the primary ratings:

  • Private Pilot Certificate (PPC)
  • Instrument Rating (IR)
  • Commercial Multi Engine (CME)

These will take approximately 8-12 months to complete depending on your skill, ability and motivation. The M-1 Visa allows you to stay in the United States for up to 12 months. M-1 students in good standing may request an extension to their duration of stay if deemed necessary by the Primary Designated School Official (PDSO).

U.S. F-1 Visas for Flight Training

The F-1 Visa is recommended for students interested in a career as a professional pilot and who desire to complete a professional training program. Our Professional Pilot Program starts with the completion of your Private Pilot Certificate and progresses through the Instrument Rating, the Commercial Certificate with Multi Engine Rating, Commercial Single Add-on, and finally, the Instructor Rating. Graduates of this program are eligible to apply for one year of Optional Practical Training (OPT), and to apply to be interviewed for a Certified Flight Instructor position with L3 Airline Academy . If hired, you can then have the opportunity to build up over 1,000 hours of flight time experience, which is key to moving on into an airline position after leaving the Academy.

Contact the Academy

To discuss and understand which Visa and program of study is right for you, contact our Admissions Department for additional information on Application and Admission Requirements for International Students or call 1-800-U-CAN-FLY (800- 822-6359).

Become an Airline Pilot

Contact us today to learn more about how you can become a pilot and benefit from the Pilot Placement Services L3 Airline Academy has to offer.

Contact Us